Tim McElhinny, CIC, LUTCF
Partner, McElhinny Insurance Agency LLC
Making Waves? Protect Your Boat
Many people believe sailboats or powerboats are covered under their auto or homeowners policies. But, for most insurers, that isn't the case. Consider this:
- Typically, an auto policy won’t provide liability or physical damage coverage for a boat.
- Most homeowners policies provide a limited amount of coverage for physical damage to boats. They also restrict automatic liability coverage to low-powered boats.
Large, fast motorboats, yachts and personal watercrafts such as jet skis and wave runners require a separate boat insurance policy. Boat insurance offers coverage for things like:
· Bodily injury - for injuries caused to others, such as swimmers, jet skiers or other boaters
· Property damage - for damage caused to someone else's property
· Theft and vandalism – that can occur on land or in the water
· Medical payments - for injuries to the boat owner, family members and others who are injured
ERIE’s Boat Protector Policy
With a policy from Erie Insurance, you’ll get comprehensive coverage that covers many types of losses. It will cover, for example, damages resulting from a collision, fire or lightening. ERIE offers:
- Up to $500 in coverage for boating equipment and accessories at no additional cost
- Payments up to $250 per occurrence for emergency towing to the nearest marina, if your boat is disabled or stranded on the water
- $1,000 coverage of non-owned property
- $500 fire extinguisher recharge
For an additional premium or fee, ERIE also offers optional coverage such as uninsured boater protection. This coverage protects you should you be involved in a boating accident caused by a hit-and-run boater or a boater who has no insurance. Credits are available, too, for things like radars, built-in fire extinguishing systems and ship-to-shore radios.
So, if you have a boat or are thinking about getting one, contact The McElhinny Insurance Agency. We will review your coverage and help ensure that your boat is properly insured. Call 412-650-5700 today.
Not all companies are licensed or operate in all states. Not all products are offered
in all states. Go to erieinsurance.com for company licensure and territory